Thursday, November 29, 2007

Adoptees and the Extended Family

Much has been said about some adoptees feeling like they don't fit in with their adoptive families.

At least, that's what I've said.

That said, oddly enough, I always felt like I was a member of the family.

My aunts fussed over me. So did my maternal grandmother who always cooked something special when I visited. My paternal grandmother got stuck with me almost every weekend and she was always sweet. Maybe they knew just how lousy I had it with my self-centered adoptive parents and were trying to make up for it.

But now that I look back on it, I don't think that even these kind folk saw me as one of them. I was just too different. Now that I'm an adult, I suspect they felt sorry for me. I also believe there was a lot of talking amongst themselves about me and my quirks and why I was the way I was.

Why do I suspect this?

First, my adoptive family was a closed family system. Suspicious of outsiders.

Second, since I don't run around with "Adoptee!" stamped on my forehead, I pass for regular folk in the community. So at parties people tell me about me about the (usually weird) adopted kid in their family or at my local bookstore the owner tells me about the quirks of her adopted grandchild and the other day at Starbucks, I overheard a woman (loudly) discussing her Guatling niece and attachment or the lack of it and the trouble the little girl was having at pre-school and how, well, quirky she is.

See what I'm getting at?

Despite all this adoption is wonderful business, when you bring a kid into a nuclear family, the extended family is going to have their own opinion. While few dare say anything to the adopted family's face, they say it behind their backs. I've heard it. Believe me.

So that's what I think went on in my family.

And I can prove it.

Besides a cousin telling me I didn't belong to the family and that's why I was so weird, there also seemed to be a lot of whispering and sideways glances. And when I'd look up, they'd have that guilty look on their face people get when they've just said something bad about you. Plus, after my adoptive mother died, her side of the family just sort of drifted off, probably because they no longer had to pretend they liked me. (For the record, I am very close to one cousin because her mother is a narcissist, too, so we've bonded)

Of course, not all adoptess have this experience. Some do. For those of us who do, we're like poor Fanny in Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. Somebody to take pity on and help, but not the same as the primary children, her quirks of character to be examined and noted.

There's that word again. Quirk. Quirkish. Quirky.

In our adoptive families, we're quirky. But when I met my first family, I was just like them. Or at least parts of me were. This has nothing to do with how I feel about them. But at least I'm finally not quirky.

Hah. A word could not describe us better!

Quirk: 1) a pecularity of behavior;

2) A TRICK OF FATE.

And that is exactly what happened!

Fate has tricked me.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Nina,
I've just had an epiphany! Perhaps the first definition (a percularity of behavior) means that we acted differently than "them". Perhaps we were the "normal" ones and they just had it twisted in their minds...I would say that their behavior was perculiar,not ours.......how quirky is that?

4:52 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Hopewaits,

I'd say very quirky! It's odd, isn't it, feeling like you're odd when you're around "them," but your normal pretty much everyplace else. Which, as you point out, says more about THEM. Besides, I wasn't the one who was diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (a-dad) nor did I suffer from Attaque de Nervios (culture bound somatic disorder: A-mom and other middle aged women in my lower class a-family). I needed therapy to help me deal with the aftermath, but I'm actually not so quirky.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Andie D. said...

I tried everything within my power to fit in with my adoptive family. I really, really, tried. But I couldn't. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I realized that I actually DID NOT WANT to be like them. I became grateful that I was not OF them!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Andie,

Hah! Well, at least you were grateful for something, although I don't think that's why a-families had in mind.

It is sad to think of you trying to fit in...really sad...because it's just so impossible!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Celera said...

I think the best thing, or at least the most immediately gratifying thing, about reunion for me, was to find a whole family of people who were just like me. I had always been told there was something wrong with me, but here were sane, sensible people with graduate degrees and respectable jobs, who were absent-minded and didn't always get the dishes done before bedtime. What a relief to find that I was not just "broken"!

12:04 AM  
Blogger bestfriendsgirl said...

One experience my abrother and I had, which most adoptees don't, is having a family full of cousins who were also adopted. My mother's sister adopted six children; one was an orphaned teenager, one half Filipino and one Chinese. They were born in this country and were not foreign adoptions per se, but this was something that simply was not done in the Midwest in the 60's and 70s. Now, as an adult, I realize why I liked visiting this aunt so much - we werent' the weird ones there! We were one of the crowd! Hell, we outnumbered the non-adoptee cousins! I'm only now beginning to realize how much strength I drew from that as a child.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
chopper tattoo -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cure for tinnitus -
debt free in three -
driver checker -
duplicate file cleaner -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy member pro -
easy tv soft -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
end your tinnitus -
fap winner -
fat burning furnace -
fatloss4idiots -
fat loss 4 idiots -
final sync -
final uninstaller -
firewall gold -
fitness model program -
fit yummy yummy -
flatten your abs -
forex auto money -
forex auto pilot -
forex confidante -
game tester guide -
governmentregistry -
government registry -
healthy urban kitchen -

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your fun business -
zygor guides -
500 love making tips -
acid alkaline diet -
acne no more -
advanced defrag -
anti spyware bot -
art of approaching -
banish tinnitus -
beat eczema -
blood pressure normalized -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cpa arbitrage -
creative date ideas -
debt free in three -
digital background -
dirty talking guide -
discus fish secrets -
duplicate file cleaner -
dw insider -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy tv soft -
easy web video -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
end your tinnitus -
error doctor -
evidence smart -
fap winner -
fat burning furnace -

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home