Monday, June 11, 2007

Surrounded by Adoption

To borrow a bit from Jane Austen, "I am all amazement."

How DID I manage to repress all those feelings about my adoption? And for soooo long?

There is so much to process.

I can't believe the mental work it takes to sort through it all.

Over the weekend, a friend told me about her grandmother who had eleven children. She gave three of the youngest up for adoption because she was so poor. Two of the boys grew up knowing their mother and first families. The girl did not want anything to do with her first mother although, my friend insisted, this girl did not grow up "bitter" and "angry" and went on to be highly successful in the field of education. Then my friend (who knows I'm adopted) said something like, "Oh well, we're all dealt problems and we just have to get over it the best we can."

I had no energy to even explode. Was she trying to tell me something? I've only spoken to her - briefly - about my status as an adoptee.

Adoption is all around us and only the adoptees really know what it's like. The inner life we lead. The complicated emotions. I got to thinking about this woman who was one of three children given away by her mother. Only she knows what she feels about this. Why did my friend, who only knows about her, insist this adoptee wasn't bitter and angry? Because the adoptee was ambitious and successful? Maybe she spent her entire life trying to prove to her first mother, "You were wrong to give me away! Look how valuable I am!"

5 Comments:

Blogger Doughnut said...

Reading your blog and other adoptee blogs has many me be less judgmental and listen closely. I want to know where they are in there journey as it makes understanding them better...and I know you do it well Nina :)

3:32 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Ah, so true...everything you've said here.

I hate the "the adoptees I know are happy, don't have issues, etc. etc." crowd, as if just by being introduced to an adoptee gives them sudden insight to their innermost feelings and some proof positive argument that the adoptees who do have "issues" with their adoptions are the vast minority.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Possum said...

It's sad that we're labeled either 'happy' or 'angry' - black or white - instead of the myriad of shades - colourful shades - that we all really are.
The adoptees that have surfaced from the gloomy fog seem to upset others - simply for the fact that we challenge those long held beliefs that adoption is all happy happy happy.
I'm glad you're here speaking your truth Nina.
Hugs, Poss.xx

9:40 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Well, sheesh, guys...I got way behind on blog although I did read your comments and, as usual, loved 'em! Thank you!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cure angular cheilitis -
directory of ezines -
dirty talking guide -
dish tv for pc -
dog training online -
domain sales machine -
driver robot -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy tech videos -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
error killer -
error smart -
evidence eraser -
evidence smart -
fatburningfurnace -
fat burning furnace -
fatloss4idiots -
fat loss 4 idiots -
fitnessmodelprogram -
fitness model program -
fit yummy yummy -
flattenyourabs -
flatten your abs -
flat to fab -
forex derivative -
gas 4 free -
get better grades -
golf swing guru -
governmentregistry -
government registry -

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home